Minneopa Cemetery

Historic Minneopa Cemetery

Since 1855

Oldest Continuously Operating Cemetery in Blue Earth County

Notable People Buried at Minneopa

CHARLES H. ANDERSON JR: He was born 11-8-1922. He died Dec 6, 1944. His parents were Charles and Elizabeth Anderson. Born & raised in Mankato, he attended Lincoln School and Teachers College High School. He enlisted in the army in 2-16-1943 and was sent overseas in August of that year. He was single and was a private. He was killed in action in New Guinea. On December 8th, the paper announced that the Japanese attacked the allied force on New Guinea and wiped them out in a surprise attack. The dead were about 1/2 Australian and 1/2 American. It was not until January 3, 1945, that word came to the family of his death. The Company Chaplain telephoned his parents with the news. His parents had moved to Waterville in 1942 or 3. The family had still not received any official word or details of his death. He was survived by 3 brothers and 2 sisters. Brother Ray had preceded him in death. Another brother, Lyle, was fighting in Italy.

RAY C. ANDERSON: 1909-1942, 33 years old. Parents were Charles Henry Anderson and Elizabeth Coughlan Anderson. He died in Huntsville, Alabama after he moved there with his parents. He was single with no dependents. He was a draftee classified as Civil Unskilled Sailor.

THOMAS & JANE ARUNDELL: Both were born in England, Jane was born 1818 and John was 1823. Jane was 5 years older than her husband. They moved to South Bend Township where he worked as a farmer and a carpenter. They did not ever have children. Jane survived him by three years. Jane died 8/13/1896 and Thomas 2/4/1893

HARRY SYLVESTER BARR: Born 6-21-1912 died 5-11-1915.

MRS ELIZABETH BAXTER: Died at the residence of W.W. Davis in South Bend. She was the Mother-in-law of Mr. Davis. She was survived by 5 children. She had 3 die in infancy and one die later. She had been a widow for 24 years. She was born 6-7-1800 at Llanfar, Mt. Gomeryshire, Wales. She came to Mankato in the 1860‘s and died 9/25/1892.

TATE BISSETT: Tate, official name Beatrice Mary T. Bissett. was born about January of 1884 in Stoke Damerel, Devonshire. She died July 21, 1884, in Devonshire. Her parents immigrated to the US and brought her body with them for burial.

EPHRIAM & MARY REED BLAKE: Ephriam 1813- 7/21/1887. Mary 1822- 1903. They were both from Quebec, Canada where Ephraim was a logger. He was born in 5-10-1813 and she was 9 years younger. They had 12 children, all born in Canada. 11 children survived their dad; 7 sons and 4 daughters. In 1866, they moved to a farm near Truman and in 1879 to Mankato. Ephraim died in 1887 of Stomach cancer. He was 74 years old. Mary died in 1903. He was a member of the Free Will Baptist Church and she was Congregational.

E. GEORGE BLAKE & HANNAH BROCK BLAKE: Ephraim & Mary’s eldest son. Ephraim George was born Oct. 2, 1839. He was a lumberman until the age of 24. He worked his way back to Canada by the river. E. George was a private in the Union forces of the Civil War. He served with the First MN Heavy Artillery, Company M. In 1866, he married Hannah (12/2/1839-1899). They had two children; Charles and Sadie Hannah. In 1874, he went to St. Paul and opened dairy farms. When he returned to Mankato, he served as a night watchman. He was then hired by the City as a policeman. It is said he had many scars from being stabbed on the job but that he never had to shoot anyone. He worked both jobs for 12 years and resigned the police to become an Agent at the Northwestern RR depot. After that job, he became a streetcar driver for 7 years and finally took a job with the park department working his way up to the Park Superintendent, a job he held for 20 years. He laid out Sibley Park and planted thousands of trees in all parks and boulevards in Mankato. He also became a weatherman; registering the rain-falls and river heights. He was a member of the IOOF lodge and the Christian Church. He was killed in 1912 when his buggy was struck by a train as he was crossing the Omaha & Northwestern tracts. The train engineer believed that the buggy was a run-away due to the high speed and erratic path of the horse.

CHARLES BLAKE: Born 6-15-1879 and died 8-11-1898. Parents were Ephraim George Blake and Hannah E. Brock Blake. He died in Santiago de Cuba serving with Company G of the Second US Infantry in the Spanish American War. He died of Cholera during his service.

SADIE H BLAKE: Born in 1889 and died 3-20-1914 at the age of 25. She never worked but lived with her parents until they died, and alone after that.

SARAH F. BOWEN: 11-month-old daughter of Mr. & Mrs. David Bowen of Judson. She died 2/27/1891 of Spinal Meningitis.

LILLIAN BOWEN: 18-month-old daughter of Mr. & Mrs. David Bowen of Judson. She died Sunday of pneumonia after a 3-week illness. Age 1900- 4/11/1902.


WILLIS. G. BRIGGS: 10/13/1845-4/4/1897 – He was born in Cook Co. Ill. Republican Candidate for Alderman in the 6th Ward. He died at home of Pleuro-pneumonia. He became ill with La Grippe (flu) and developed a cough. The illness lasted 5 weeks with him growing steadily weaker. His death was generally a shock. At 52 years old, he was survived by a wife and five children. He was a veteran of the Civil War. At the age of 17, he enlisted in Captain Slaughter’s Co. E of the 2nd Minnesota Calvary on 12/22/1863 and was discharged 11/22/1865. He worked as a carpenter. He came to Minnesota in 1854 and moved to Mankato in the early 1860‘s. He married Miss Amy Simmons on August 26, 1868. They had 4 daughters and 1 son. He belonged to the Northwestern Legion of Honor, was a trustee of the M.E. Church, and was a member and past chairman of the Wilkin Post GAR. He had $1,000.00 in life insurance. His obit. stated he was an upright and honorable man and had a “life well spent”.

AUGUSTUS S. CAPRON – Augustus was a member of one of the FIRST FAMILIES OF MARYLAND. He was a nephew of General Capron of the Maryland CAV. He was also related to the Tiffany jewelry family of New York. He was college-bred and a classical scholar. He became estranged from his Eastern relatives and enlisted in CO G, 26TH NY and later CO. A, 12th Maryland VOL INF. He married a proper and beautiful girl at the time he enlisted. When he returned from 2 years of service, he found that the girl had divorced him and taken all his money & holdings. He reenlisted in the Navy and served with the Mississippi Fleet for the rest of the war. He started as an ordinary seaman on the Great Western and rose to Captain After Guard of the steamer Ibex. He moved to MN after his service. He remarried and had 3 children. His death was due to Dropsical trouble of long standing and was attributed to complications of war injuries. He was on a pension for war disabilities.

LOREN & RUTH DAVIS CRANE: Loren 1904-1996 and Ruth 1904-1993. South Bend Township and the family farm is a Century Farm. Loren was the youngest of 10 and Ruth one of 9. They had 4 children but only 1 son, Loren Crane Jr. Loren had a Guernsey herd and sold milk to Mankato Creamery. He hauled wheat to Hubbard & Palmer Mill and then sugar beets. He was elected to BE County Agriculture Adjustment Act Committee and served from 1934-43. He spent 2 years as the manager of Hemp Mill in Mapleton. Ruth volunteered at the Hospital Red Cross. Loren was a Mason from 1927 on and served on many Boards of Directors. He was Minneopa Cemetery Treasurer from 1945-1984.

“FRANKIE” Francis J. CRANE. Born 8-23-1887. Died 8-27-1898. Age 11 years. Eldest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. David Crane a South Bend township farmer. She was an unusually bright girl. Died of appendicitis.

A.I. CRISP – CO.1, 6TH MINN. INF. G.A.R. Dates of service 8-1-1862 / 8-19-1865 Died at home of heart trouble 3-17-1899. “A quiet man of excellent character”.

HANNAH CROCKER: 12/20/1811 - 4/2/1895. Died after three weeks of suffering. She was one of Mankato’s ‘respected pioneers’. She was born in Dexter, Maine. She died to 82 years old at her home on Minnesota Street. She became a Christian (Methodist) at age 14. Widowed for 22 years, she was survived by 5 children.

EDWARD AND MARGARET THOMAS DACKINS: The Dackins’ family emigrated from Wales to the US in 1851. Edward (12/20/1833-1/12/1912) and his brother David came to Judson in 1856. Edward married Margaret Thomas in 1878. She came to MN from Vermont. They had 10 children of which 6 survived; Edward Jr. William, Griffith, Margaret Jane, Nettie and David L. Her father and Grandfather both died in the January 1857 Blizzard. Her father, Griffith Thomas, and Grandfather, William Hughes, were caught on the Fort Ridgley Road between Cambria and New Ulm. Margaret died in 1941 in an auto accident. Margaret 8/30/1854 - 2/26/1941.

DAVID L. DACKINS – Married Margaret V. Jones, daughter of Evan & Elizabeth Jones. They had 4 kids. David L’s wife died of heart disease. She was an invalid for 15 years before her death.

DAVID DACKINS – CO. E NINTH MINNESOTA INF. David enlisted 7-18-1862 and was assigned to duty in Minnesota against the Sioux Uprising. The unit then was sent to Guntown, Mississippi (Also known as the battle at Brice’s Crossroads) where the Union forces were routed by the Confederacy. The union army under Sturgis with 8,500 troops was soundly defeated by the Confederate Cav. under Forrest with 4,787 troops. After the battle, the Union Army was scattered. David was separated from the rest of the group and headed north. He was captured and escaped 3 separate times and lived hiding in swamps, traveling at night and starving; only getting food occasionally from friendly Negros. After the war, he became a Janitor at Union School but finally was given a disability pension due to his wartime hardships.

DAVID DOUGLAS DACKINS: 1864-1878 14 years old – smallpox


J.J. EDWARDS: WISC. VOL INF Civil War. Born in Columbia, Wisc. After short service in union army, he started from Wisconsin on 4-24-1861 and headed west to MN. He took transportation to Rochester (as far as it was available) then walked the rest of the way to Mankato. He had a meat shop on Front Street for 6 months then became a clerk. He first worked for I H Beiber then for Red Lion Store.

ANN ELLIS: Widow and mother. She kept house and had a border. According to the 1880 census, her family included her mother, Emily, age 43, James age 23 an RR brakeman, Anna age 19, John age 18 a farmer. William Boyd was a boarder at her house and worked as a farm laborer at age 15. 8/17/1859-4/16/1920.

FIELDING ENFIELD: GAR Co I, Sixth Minnesota Infantry Regiment returned to Minnesota in 1862 to quell Indians. Fielding was a Private Enlisted 8-14-1862 and served to 8-19-1865. Enlisted at Swan Lake. Born 7-23-1839 in Harrison Co. Indiana. Moved to MN in 1856 and married Mary Karrigan. Died 3-30-1925. Had 4 sons, 1 daughter. In the military, he was a teamster, hospital aide, cook, and nurse. Took part in Mobile, Ala. Campaign. The unit spent 1862 & 63 fighting the Sioux then left for Helena, Ark. Helena was described by regiment historian as “Malaria stricken, disease fostering hole”. Of the 940 men there (for only about 4 months) 72 died of disease and 600 were sent to a Northern Hospital in St. Louis.

JAMES OLIVER ENFIELD – Co. I, Sixth Minnesota enlisted 12-1863 and served to 8-1865. Private.

THOMAS EVANS: Born 1789 in Wales. Died 1/26/1881. Arrived in MN 7/6/1858. He married a woman named Elizabeth. When he died 1-26-1881, Elizabeth was left with 8 boys and 1 girl to raise.

MAJOR E. P. (EVAN PAUL) EVANS: Garden City. Died at age 76. One of Garden City’s oldest and most respected citizens, he was suddenly taken ill on a Friday at the Garden City Fair. He rallied and for a day or two people thought he would recover. However, he suddenly turned worse and died. 5/24/1819- 4/16/1886.

EVAN EVANS: Enlisted in the army for WWI. Killed in Action at the battle of the Marne in France.

MATHEW EVANS: CO. E, 14TH WIS. INF. Born in North Wales, he enlisted in Union Army 9-22-1864 and served until 7-18-1865. He lived in Mankato and was a painter by trade. His death on 9/9/1901 at about 80 years old was due to general disability. He left a widow, daughter, and son.

ABRAHAM W. FINCH: CO. D, FIRST MINN HEAVY ARTILLERY. Born in Michigan 8-22-1838, he enlisted in Fillmore Co. 9-23-1864. He started as a private and was promoted to a sergeant. He died at home of paralysis in Jan. 22, 1907. He had been ill since July. He was survived by a wife one son & 2 daughters.


MRS. HUGH GRANT (JONES): Died 4-7-1915 of pneumonia. Born in Brybwran, Anglesey North Wales on 8-29-1886. She was the daughter of Hugh and Anne Jones. In 4-4-1905 she married Hugh Grant and farmed in Judson for 4 years. Then, she moved to Mankato. She was of poor health for several years. She was survived by her husband and one girl, Inez.

WILLIAM GRIFFITH: Died 12/14/1879. He was of a ‘spotless Christian character’ and long a resident of Judson.

HENRY GEORGE HAMILTON: CO I, FIRST MINN. INF. Born May 28, 1828, in Athens NY. He died in Lake Crystal Apr. 27, 1910. In 1849, he married Martha Copeland. They had 9 kids of whom 5 were alive in 1910. In 1856 he moved to Olmsted Co. and later to around Pierre South Dakota. Martha died there. He enlisted Apr. of 1865 and served to the end of the war. In 1887, he remarried Ellen Griffeth in Aurora, SD and he moved to Lake Crystal in 1905. He died of a lingering illness of many months duration.

JANE HERBERT: Mrs. Owen Herbert. She was survived by her husband and 7 children. A family tragedy: Jane committed suicide. She had been “out of her mind” for some time as she suffered from melancholia since the death of her son 6 years before. After breakfast one day, she disappeared for about 10 minutes. The two youngest of the children, Katie and Albert, went to look for her and found her hanging from a beam 18 feet from the floor in the barn. Her husband called for assistance and took her down and into the house. He said her main worry was that the children would be taken from her. The coroner decided no inquest was needed. 3/7/1842 - 12/19/1891.

OWEN HERBERT: Died 4-30-1892. Born in 1826 in North Wales, he emigrated to the U.S. in 1851. He became a farmer in South Bend area. He was noted as a good neighbor, a kind, and loving father, industrious and successful. He had the gripe (stomach pains) for some time then dropsy (edema – swelling of soft tissues) overtook him. He became weaker until he finally died. He left 7 kids. One son and 3 daughters were married; two sons and a daughter were living at home. His wife (Jane) died 4 months before.

WILLIAM HERBERT: Son of Jane & Owen Herbert. Died 9-19-1884, about 17 years old. He and two friends, George Tyler and Daniel Williams, went on a melon raiding lark at the melon patch of George Keenan. Keenan was used to raids on his patch but stated that this year was especially bad. He even invited young men to come during the day for a free melon instead of raiding the patch and causing extra damage due to stomping and breaking vines in the process. The three youths did not see anyone around, so William entered the patch and got a melon. Then shots came from a stock of corn. At least 4 shots were fired and one hit William in the right shoulder. The shots were fired by George and Samuel Keenan, sons of the owner of the field. William was brought home by his friends and later was taken to the doctor by the family. The bullet traveled down deep into his lung and unfortunately took parts of his clothes with it. The wound became badly infected and he died about 2-3 weeks later. An inquest was held, and it judged that William was killed by a shot fired by persons unknown. Later both of Keenan’s sons were arrested.

ELIZABETH MAY HUGHES: Born 4-15-1883 and died 9-10-1884. Her parents were Thomas O and Jane Robert Hughes.

WILLIAM HUGHES: Lived in Judson then moved to Mankato. He lived at 427 Pleasant St for 7 years. He is survived by his wife. William had been sick for 6 months. He died at the age of 41 of cancer. 5/8/1853 - 2/4/1895.

MATTHEW M. HYNSON: CO. G TENTH MINN INF. He was born in Delaware Apr. 13, 1824 and came to MN in 1856. He lived in Le Sueur until 1875, then bought a farm in South Bend Township near Spring Island. He enlisted in 1862 and served throughout the war. He volunteered in one of the earliest companies and served “with Brilliant Accord in the Rebellion”. He died of apoplexy having 2 strokes within a few days. He left a wife and 6 kids.

JOATHAN JESSUP: CO A, 1A MISSOURI VOL. Born in Ohio 6-26-1827 and died of old age 6-18-1909. He enlisted in Missouri and served throughout the war. After the war, he moved to Iowa and 18 years before his death, he moved to Mankato. He was survived by a wife and 4 kids. “A brave and honest man”.

JOHN JENSEN: Born 10-5-1851 in Denmark. Died 3/2/1937. Emigrated in 1882. He was a farmer. The oldest son was born in 1875 in Denmark and could not speak English. His wife was Christona. She had 13 children of which 9 survived. John Jensen Jr. was born 9-8-1892 and died 2-3-1915 at age of 23.

CHARLES JOHNSON: CO B THIRD MINN INF. Died 3-11-1901 of LA Grippe. He lived here 50 years and left a wife, son and 6 daughters. He was one of the more substantial farmers of Judson and led an “industrious and successful life. “

HANNIBAL F. JOHNSON: CO. G 82ND PENN. INF. He enlisted in 1863 and served to the end of the war. He fought under Sheridan and Grant. He was born in Penn. He lived in Tinkcomville in Mankato and died 4-2-1912 at the age of 73. He had had pneumonia for about 1 week and was survived by a step-father.

JOHN J. JOHNSON: Died of suicide 9-13-1900. John was in the Scarp Iron business in LeHillier. He died at the age of 52 years old and left a wife, 5 sons, and one daughter. He was involved with a criminal case against several boys charged with stealing brass from the Great Western Roundhouse. He was a principal witness and was arrested on a charge of having committed a nuisance. Several times he told his wife and brother that he did not wish to live any longer and the day before the trial started he took a dose of Aconite (aconite is found in the Monkshood, family of plants and is a deadly poison) and died.

DAVID J. JONES: 1850-1899. Services were at the Welsh Church. The funeral procession was 60 carriages long. According to the Free Press, “Mr. Jones was not a Populist but a Staunch Republican.”

MRS. HUGH JONES: Died 5-31-1916 at age 36 of Pleurisy of the heart. She was in good health and completed a good day’s work up to her death. She was born in Judson Twsp. She married young and lived on a farm by Judson. She was held in esteem and respect by all who knew her. She was survived by her mother, 5 brothers, 2 sisters, her husband, 1 son and 2 daughters. She was a member of the Royal Neighbor Lodge of Lake Crystal.

JOHN JONES: CO K 46TH WIS. INF. He was born in Wales. He served one year as a hospital Steward in a Wisconsin regiment.

JOHN JONES: Died 5-17-1898 at the home of his brother in Judson. He had been in bad health for some time and was an inmate at the asylum for the insane until a year before when he moved to his brother’s house. He was a lifelong bachelor.

JOHN P. JONES: Died 12/31/1889. Aged 80. Old and respected citizen of Judson. Died of dropsy.

JOHN S. JONES: Born 5-5-1859 and died 8-19-1924. Born in Wales and emigrated in 1865 with parents. He lived in Judson and farmed. His wife was Ellen. He married in 1895. He was 48 and she was 31. He was widowed by 1910 census. They had one son; Floyd. When he retired, he moved to Lake Crystal with his son and daughter-in-law. Floyd was an electrician.

LIZZIE WIGLEY JONES: Wife of Rev. J. C. Jones. Died 3/30/1890. at home in Judson of Gastric Fever. She was taken sick one week ago and her death was a shock. She was the daughter of Hon. Joseph Wigley. She was born in South Bend 26 years ago. Four years ago, she married Rev. Jones, Pastor of the Welsh Church in Judson. She leaves 2 children, aged 2 years and 11 weeks.

LIZZIE JONES: Born 1/28/1864 - Died 9/27/1890. Daughter of Robert Jones of Judson. She died of consumption at the age of 24 years. She caught the disease 1 year ago.

NELLIE JONES: Died of diphtheria at 4 years old. 11-12-1894.

REVEREND R.F. (RICHARD FOULK) JONES: Died in Cambria, Wisconsin. Born in Han bad, North Wales, he came to the US in 1851. He lived in NY State until 1872 when he was called to take charge of the Mankato Zion and Carmel Church. He lived here until 1881 then returned to Wales for a year. He was then sent to Pennsylvania and later to Wisconsin. He was 72 years old and leaves a wife and 5 children including R.F. Jones Jr. (1880-1969) of Mankato.


THOMAS JONES: CO F, 188TH OHIO INF. He enlisted in 1861 and served throughout the war. He died 7-1-1904 at 57 years old. He had been ailing for some time with sciatic rheumatism and died of neuralgia of the chest. Shortly before his death, he took a trip to Colorado Hot Springs as a cure attempt. However, it did no good. He was a past Master of the Bethel Mason Lodge. He was born in South Wales on 9-17-1847. He came to Mankato in 1867 and worked as a carpenter. He married Elinor Jones in 1869 and moved to a Judson farm in 1871. He was survived by his wife and 10 kids.

THOMAS (T. O.) JONES: Born March of 1825 and died Nov. 2, 1905. His second wife, Mary, was born in Nov. 1844. They married in 1886. He came to the US in 1850 from Wales. He was a farmer but was retired by 1900 census. At that time his household consisted of a 22-year-old female (School Teacher) border and an 18-year-old female Scandinavian servant. In 1875, his wife was Jane aged 33 when he was 50. In 1863, he was categorized as #1 Draft able as he was single and between the ages of 36-45.

MRS. WILLIAM JONES: Died 2-19-1908. Mrs. Jones and her daughter were driving to town when the young horses ran away. Near Wittrock farm on Mapleton Road, Mrs. Jones jumped from the cart and hit her head. She was taken to the farm but never regained consciousness and died that afternoon. She was survived by her husband, a former Mankato policeman, and 10 kids.

MARY L. KERNS: Lived in Spring Island. She became ill 6 weeks ago and was finally taken to the hospital in Mankato last Tuesday. She died at the hospital from an abscess. The ‘sad feature’ of her death is the absence of her Husband. He left to go up north to find a new location for them and no one knows where he is to notify him of her death. He last wrote from Brainerd. Mrs. Kerns is the daughter of Reverend Powell, one of the areas earliest Methodist Ministers. She leaves 8 children. 1854-1896.

GILBERT L. KING: CO D, 8TH WISC. INF. Died 9-14-1911 at age 68 of LeGrippe and pneumonia. He left a widow and 6 kids. Gilbert enlisted as a Drummer boy in the Eagle Regiment of Wisconsin at the age of 16. In 4 years of war, he was only wounded in the wrist by a saber. He was dedicated to his music. By trade, he was a carpenter, but he organized a juvenile boys’ band for Mankato boys. He kept up a drum corps in Mankato for years. He was survived by his wife and 6 kids.


ALVARO E. LAIRD: Served in CO E, SECOND MINNESOTA CAV. After the attack on New Ulm, he rode with General Sibley chasing the Sioux. He was severely wounded during the campaign. He was born in Whitestown, NY 3-9-1844. He died 10-4-1926. He lived in Lehillier and was survived by 2 sons and a brother.

GRIFFITH J. LEWIS: COMPANY B, FIFTH IOWA CAV. Born in Wales and moved to Wisc. In 1852. Moved to Judson 1854 and Mankato about 1891. Died 4-7-1902 at home, 221 State Street, after a 2 weeks illness of gastritis and pneumonia. He was 65 years old and survived by his wife. Their only child had died earlier. Married Jane Roberts in 1870. He joined Brackett’s Battalion in 1861 and served until 6-18-1866. He was an “exemplary citizen, and a kind friend and neighbor and a loving husband. Griffith Lewis and Willoughby Wells of Amboy were both in Co B of Brackett's Battalion. In the 1860’s they were assigned to accompany Fisk’s expedition to the Idaho Gold Mines. A total of 125 men, women and kids made up Fisk's party and 50 soldiers were assigned to them at Fort Rice due to Indian unrest. When the group reached 150 miles west of Bismark, ND, it was attacked and surrounded by Indians. The Fisk party form a circle and fought for 18 days until help arrived. 14 of the soldiers were killed. Although the Indians left before the 18 days were up, none of the party except Fisk would continue. When the soldiers learned of the train’s troubles 850 men, including 300 Calvary, were sent to the rescue. The Captain in charge of the rescue party stated that the Indians were probably nearby waiting for the train to stretch out again, so it would be more open to attack. The rescue party gave the train the option of going back with Fort Rice with them or traveling on alone. All opted to return.

WINTON LEWIS: Infant son of Mr. & Mrs. Thomas E. Lewis. He died in Bradley South Dakota. The funeral was held in South Dakota and then his remains were sent to Mankato for burial.

JOHN LYON: Died September 9, 1854. Son of J.S. Lyon he was the first “white” death in the area. He and his family moved to South Bend from Iowa in July of 1853. His father became one of 6 members of the South Bend Town-site Company. In August of 1854, his father built the first sawmill on Minneopa Creek. He brought the first cow to the area. John died at the age of 21 years old. He was amiable and esteemed while his dad was cantankerous. According to the History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Ed. By E Hughes et. al., (1895), in August of 1854 South Bend consisted of “5 houses, 6 families, 26 people, 1 span of horses, 4 yoke of oxen, 67 cows, and 2 dogs”.

RAY (ELI) MITCHELL: CO. G, 125 OHIO INF. Born in North Avonshire, England in 1836, he came to Ohio in the U.S. in 1854. He has lived in LeHillier since 1893. He enlisted in 1863 and served to the end of the war. He was a farmer, blacksmith, and machinist. He was survived by a wife, 3 sons and 3 daughters. He had been ill since the previous June with congestion of the liver. Died 2-19-1913.

RAY MORGAN: 5-year-old son of Mr. & Mrs. William Morgan of Van Brunt Street. He died on Sunday and was buried on Monday. He died of Scarlet Fever. Another of their children is also sick of the disease. 9/25/1895 - 2/3/1901.

MARTIN NELSON: of Judson. Born in Hellestad, Sweden on 4-4-1830. He settled in Judson in 1858. In 1863 he was married to Johanna Johnson. They had 7 children of which 3 are still alive. He died of complications of diseases. He had been ill for 1 week. Died 3/10/1898.

EVAN PERRY: Born 2-17-1828 and Died 12-4-1888. His death was not unexpected as he had been troubled for over a year with heart disease and dropsy. He was confined to bed since Election Day. Although he suffered during his last illness, his death was calm and peaceful. He was a native of Wales and immigrated to the US in 1846. He first settled in Boston. 3 years later he returned to Wales but did not stay long. He came to Mankato 20 years ago. He as a Granite Cutter by trade but had not worked at it for some time. He was interested in Municipal Affairs and served on the council for the 3rd ward for several years. He is survived by his wife and 5 children.

WILLIAM PRICE: Born in 1832 in Wales and died of old age in 7-23-1913. Came to the U.S. at age 10 with his family. They settled first in Utica, NY for 2 years then moved to Cambria, Wisc. He had two wives. The first was Margaret Price. His second wife was buried in NY. He had no children. He was a Mason.

TUDOR PRITCHARDS: June 3, 1879, died of Diphtheria. Son of Owen Pritchard. School in Lake Crystal was closed for an afternoon out of respect for the good student.

ROBERT S. PRITCHARDS: CO. E SECOND MINN CAV. Born in 8-18-1838 in ERW LLANGRISTIOLUS, ANGLESEA, WALES. Died 11-18-1913 of general debility and complications. Followed the trade of carpentry. Married twice – first to Mary Edwards and then to Elizabeth Davis. In the 12/26/1879 newspaper, it was noted that a Lady of Mankato wrote to her sister that she knew of 60 cases of Diphtheria here. The newspaper counters that there is no diphtheria in Mankato and she was writing her sister a falsehood. In December 1879, Robert lost 3 of his children to Diphtheria. ELLEN, age 6, died12/7; LIBBIE, age 4, died December 16; and EDDIE, age 13, died 12/18. All these items were recorded in the same newspaper issue. Many cases of the disease occurred in the Judson area.

MARGARET RICHARDS: Daughter of Mrs. Owen Richard. A 17-month-old child died of brain trouble. 1/1/1889-8/29/1890.

OWEN RICHARD: Owen was in perfect health until a bout of pneumonia 10 years before. Then every fall, he got a cough. One year ago, he injured his hand. Although the hand finally healed, his health began to fail. The doctors believe the poison from the hand wound was absorbed into his system. Several “vital parts” became involved including one lung and his brain. Last fall he suffered first from sciatica then neuralgia. His immediate cause of death was meningitis. His final illness was only a few days. Owen was 44 years old. He was born in Wales and came to the US at age 2. He moved to Blue Earth County in 1868, where he farmed. Then he moved into Mankato and opened a grocery store. He carried $1,200.00 in life insurance. He is survived by his wife and 5 children.

R.T. RICHARDSON: CO H 110TH NY INF - Born 12-14-1821 in England. He moved to New York in 1850 then lived in Canada for 10 years. In 1860 he moved to Wisconsin and worked at the milling trade. He moved to MN in 1863. In 1879 he opened a store in Amboy. He has 3 marriages. He died 11-28-1902 and was survived by 1 daughter and 2 sons. One of his sons was a soldier in the Philippines at the time of his death.

AMY ROBERTS: Died 10/1888. She was Richard Wigley’s sister-in-law and she lived in Judson. She died of consumption. 1856-1888 - age 32.

JOHN DEAN ROBERTS: Born 2-18-1921. Son of Mr. & Mrs. Arthur Roberts was killed in action in the battle for Iwo Jima. Although he died 2/23/1945, his parents were not informed until the beginning of April. He was a sergeant in the Marines and had been overseas for 14 months. His first invasion was on Guam and Iwo Jima was his second. He died 5 days after his 24th birthday - 2 days after he landed on Iwo Jima. He entered the service August 22, 1942. After training in California, he was sent overseas in December of 1943. He was a member of the famed Third Division Marines and his parents received a purple heart for his service. A memorial service was held at Zion Presbyterian Church. He was buried on Iwo Jima in the Marine cemetery located on the island. In 1948, his body was returned home and buried at Minneopa Cemetery. Roberts was graduated from Mankato high school where he played football, in 1939. He worked for a year at the International Harvester company in Mankato and was employed on his father's farm just before entering the service. He was survived by his parents and two sisters.

W.G. SCHNEIDER: GAR – George Schneider died 4-28-1897 at the age of 60. He had had inflammatory rheumatism for about 3 years. He was survived by a wife and several children.

R. SCHWANENBERG: CO A, SEVENTH WISC. – Rudolph was born about 1836. He died of apoplexy 4-24-1889. He served with the seventh Wisc. Inf. He lived in Ceresco area near his brother and after his brother died, he moved to Mankato. He complained of not feeling well for about a week and one morning after breakfast he retired to his room. When checked on, it was found he died. He earned a living giving music lessons in his home and had several students at his death. He leaves several sons and 2 daughters. Many of his children were noted musicians. He was the father of Violinist Charley S. Schwanenberg who was touring with the Andrews Opera Co.

CHARLES STALEY: Born about 1880. Died November 11, 1934. Clarence Staley started his work career as a railroad engineer. He then became a laborer at the city park. He rose to be the Park Superintendent, a job he held for 22 years. He was married and had 4 children. One of his jobs at the park was to take care of the zoo animals. The zoo had 2 bears, one of which he had raised from a cub. A woman dropped her purse into the cage. Staley attempted to recover it and was bitten by the bear. The bite was through the spinal column and he died in the cage. A man, Dick Evans, hunting along the riverbank was attracted by the noise and shot the bear. The second bear in the cage prevented police from recovering the body, so Evans had to kill that one too.


JAMES P. THOMAS: CO B, BRACKETTS MINN CAV. Born 1-6-1828 at TIR CANOL CRAY DYFENOG BRECONSTIRE WALES, he to Racine Wisc. In 1855 and to South Bend in 1856. He enlisted in Co I Curtis Horse 5th regiment 11-25-1861. He was discharged for inability 6-10-1862. He married Eleanor Roberts in January of 1872. In 1884 he retired from his farm to the city due to ill health acquired in the army. He became a janitor of the Congregational and Episcopal Churches for many years. He was survived by a wife and 4 children.

RICHARD WIGLEY: Richard Wigley of Judson was a state Senator. He became ill and died. Typhoid was suspected cause of death.

ELIZABETH (LIZZIE) WIGLEY. Born 1869-1896 Died February 4, 1896, of consumption. She had been ill for about a year.

LLEWECYN WILLIAMS: Son of William E. Williams. They lived in Butternut Valley. He was taken with ‘LeGrippe’ (Influenza) at school. It turned to consumption and he died at a young age.

MARIA WILLIAMS: She died at the age of 18 from consumption at the residence of her grandfather.

TUDER WILLIAMS: The son of Mr. & Mrs. John Williams. He died at 2 ½ years old of membranous croup. 12-27-1893. His grave reads: “Not in cruelty, Not in Wrath, The Reaper came that day. An angel came upon our house and took our flower away.”

ROBERT WOODS: Son of Mrs. Walter Woods, he was born in Rapidan. He drowned trying to rescue a friend in the Blue Earth River July 19, 1910, at Woods Ford in South Bend. Robert was 22 years old. 4 men had gone to the area to swim and bathe. They were splashing water at each other when one, Harry Strom, stepped back into a deep drop off. Harry could not swim. Robert was a strong swimmer and tried to save him. Harry panicked, grabbed Robert and both went down. Carl Hanel and David Woods went for help. The bodies were found in a tight embarrass about 1 hour later by Oliver Hiniker. He managed to separate the two and bring Woods to the surface. The other body drifted away and was not recovered for 3 more hours.

JOHN W. WYATT: Left for the Black Hills and adventure. He got a job with a railroad company near Hill City. About a month later he died of hemorrhage of the lungs (Pleuro-pneumonia) due to exposure. He died after a three-day illness. He resided in West Mankato before leaving this area. 9/14/1869 - 12/21/1891.

CARRIE M. WYATT: 21 years old. Daughter of Daniel Wyatt. She was a victim of Typhoid. She died at her parent’s house in West Mankato. Carrie graduated from the Normal School in 1893. She taught in Albert Lea for 2 years and then moved to Duluth to teach school there. She “fell victim to Duluth’s contaminated water supply. Another Mankato youth to go to Duluth” and die of Typhoid. Died 1/2/1896.